New Technics 1200

Now that the new  hyperexpeniveTechnics 1200 G   will be coming  out in several months,($4000?], I'm wondering what Audiogoners think would be the  next best thing [other than buying a used 1200 MkII] as far as the closest equivalency in quality and performance in currently production turntables? Examples are the Pioneer PL1000X, the Stanton :150, and the Audiotechnica 1240, among others?
boofer

Showing 3 responses by mofimadness

Actually, I seem to remember reading that the first run is considered a "special" run and limited. After this there is suppose to be a standard run and will sell for much less.  
No, they are going to be the same price.

http://www.whathifi.com/technics/sl-1200g/review
I am going to add my .02 cents worth here, (for what it's worth).

When I first got into the audio business, my first store was a Technics dealer.  I sold hundreds of the SL1200 series of tables.

I still have a SL1200MKII from that time.

I have been very curious about these so called "clones", so a couple of years ago,I went out looking for some to see for myself.

I bought an Audio Technica AT-LP120 off of Craigslist for $100 from the original owner in perfect shape with the Audio Technica AT95E cartridge.  All with very low use/hours.

A couple of weeks later, I found, off of Craigslist, an Audio Technica AT-LP1240 for $200.  Again from the original owner in perfect shape with the box and manual.

All I can say, is that I've had a blast with these 2 tables.  They are pretty well built and sound very good.  Not quite the equivalent of the Technics SL1200MKII, but surely not as bad as what is stated above and on other forums.  This is from "personal" experience, not just hearsay.  Granted, I have very little money in them and probably wouldn't have bought them new, but used and at the right price, they ROCK!!!

NO, they are not better or even close to my VPI or Oracle or fully modded Regas, nor are they even close to the price of these, but really not that bad either...