New Speakers ... Can't Stop "Listening"

I’ve had my new JA Pulsars for about a month now, and something really strange has happened ... I’m actually interested in "listening" to the music. With my old B&Ws, I’d put on the system and read or surf the internet; being "involved" with the music typically was not something I had experienced. Now, reading a magazine or surfing the ’net is virtually impossible. It's almost as if I'm compelled to pay attention. I never knew I could be so engaged by my system. Other than greater detail, what am I hearing now that I hadn’t heard before? Has anyone had a similar experience?
rlb61

Showing 7 responses by pc997

I built very similar speakers myself using SEAS drivers. I made my own baffles using 1.5” thick solid ash. Cabinets are Parts Express 0.5 cu’ piano black units.
I spent quite a bit $$s on crossovers and they are big and therefore external. The sound? They sound amazing. Clear and very detailed.  I love to post a video of them here but not sure how. I will upload it somewhere and provide link here.
Overall, they cost me less than $1,500 for the pair ( not counting my labor/engineering).
Here is the link.
https://youtu.be/C8fwA3nPNls

Listening to Susan Wong on youtube from ipad. Signal is going through small Yamaha mixer to $100 basic Sony receiver. And sounds this good.

Let me know what everyone think?
Just found out. JA Pulsars cost around $7,700!!
WOW.. I bet I can run my pair against theirs and still smile..
@rlb61 I never intended to say that you paid too much or anything in those lines. I am sorry if my posts sounded that way.
Everybody has different way of looking at things. And some things can not be measured in dollars. I am just happy that I can put together a set of speakers somewhat close to world class manufacturer’s.
@ozzy62 not complaining at all. I am just enjoying the comedy show that initially started on Nov 2016..
:-)

@erik_squires 
Completely agree. Sometimes DIY hifi is more satisfying than buying equipment. Especially your DIY actually comes close to purchased equipment.

My own:
https://youtu.be/C8fwA3nPNls

Thanks prof,

I took that youtube video with my iphone. The Susan Wong song was being played on youtube (ipad) and the amp was a $100 basic Sony unit. There were no high end components anywhere - except, of course, speakers and the crossovers.

I listened (took a CD with me) to some stand mount (bookshelf) speakers in local Magnolia (using Marantz equipment). My speakers clearly has better sound than B&W 705 S2 however can't hear any differences with 805 D3s (I am sure 805s diamond tweeter would sound better if I played them side by side). I also listened to Focal Chorus 706s at a different store. Focals are about the same as 805s - however nothing really jumped making me want to take them home. My diy speakers are also much better sounding than my B&W CM7.5 wall speakers which is expected.

I am extremely happy with what I have built (mostly proud of the crossovers). I will be getting some stands, put the crossovers into more presentable boxes, and hook them up to a better equipment, better cabling and make another video. They should become much better.

I still would love to have a pair of B&W 802 or 803 D3s... ;-)