New Release CD Players $1000 - $1500

Curious if any recommended CD Players, released in past year,  at $1000 - $1500 new price. Thanks
jl35

Showing 4 responses by plutos

Why not consider older top players?

If new, then feel free to buy 8005 or some Oppo, etc. But if you add a bit, then for approx. 2K you can buy Marantz SA-1 (if you can find one) or for a bit more SA7S1 (also you must wait to find). These are a true S.O.T.A. players that most of the today's (price no object) best are hard-pushed to come close.
I`m not saying they are the absolute best available, because I have not tested all, but I have tested a lot...

Here as in some other forums is a lot of dealers hype of their "latest and greatest" equipment that is ..........

Just my 2c
Have you heard it in familiar system, or at least take a peek under the skirt?

Jl35,

Can you explain what`s so innovative in Hegel?
No offense please, but the visual appearance is mediocre at best.
I don`t know your taste, but if you like "non digital sound" that is neutral, deep 3D soundstage and easy to listen, I suggest to opt on discrete R2R based DAC + plus some decent spinner or a decent digital transport.

I ordered Denafrips Ares from Vinshine Audio for use with my smart TV and I A/B compared it to my all time reference players. There is something in the discrete R2R. Overall in tonality reminds me a Accuphase DP-67, but with deeper soundstage. The DAC part is clearly better than newer DP-500 or 510, That are inferior to older DP-67.
I have not heard, but Metrum Dac`s may be also a worth to consider.