New Receiver? Marantz SR-5005

I have been completely out of the loop regarding h/t and stereo in general(enjoyed what I have) for quiet a while but now have the urge to upgrade with all the new formats, streaming, and pc access that is available.

Currently considering the Marantz to replace an outdated Denon 2802 used for h/t surround and replace the B&K Ref 20 used for front speakers in h/t and 2 channel stereo. I use a Bryston 3bst amplifier for front L/R and a HK amp for surrounds. Front speakers are Gallo 3.1.

The b&K receives its stereo signal through a Modified Lite Audio Dac60 for the 2 channel and I have come to really enjoy the sound. H/T front speakers signal is routed from pre's on the Denon.

My motivation is mainly to improve the h/t experience with the use of newer formats and Audyssey MultiEq. I would also hope for an improvement or at least equal sound quality in 2 channel with the much newer technology in the Marantz. I realize it will be receiving an analog signal so no processing will be done. Am I expecting something that will not materialize?

Internet ready and PC connectivity is also a consideration. Would like to eventually be able to save DVD's to a hard drive and play them in either 5.1 or hd surround formats. Can the Marantz do this or can it bbe done through a Blu Ray player?

Really appreciate any help or guidance. Suggestions for alternative receivers are also welcomed.
Steve
scoly1

Showing 1 response by scoly1

Thanks,
This is only the first step in my upgrade. Pre amp for 2 channel will come next. $'s will make it a slower process.

Have looked at B&K but it does not offer what I am looking for in my price range.

Using the ext dac my thinking is that only volume circuits will be in use during 2 ch. Is that correct? If so I would really like to get rid of the B&K but am concerned with sound quality. Will the medium priced OnkyoTX-NR709, Denon 3311, MARANTZ SR5005 be equal or better than the older B&K?
Other suggestions? Must have Audyssey eq xt, and at least 2 zones.
Thanks
Steve