New Maggie 3.6 OR 10 yr old Sound lab A-1 s

I am having to make a fast decision between new 3.6's
or a pair of 10 yr old Sound Lab A-1's. I have heard the
Maggies but not the A-1's. My question is with newer
technology would I be better off with new speakers or
will the time tested A-1's still reign supreme??
(The A-1's are said to be sonically sound)

Thanks fo any advise.
telescope_trade

Showing 2 responses by tok20000

I would go with the 3.6's. OFC I have lived with a pair for over 2 years, and I love the Maggies!

Always remember that speakers have moving parts. Stuff with moving parts wears down, so after 10 years... Who knows how much life the A-1's have in them? And can they be reconditioned? and for how much? Does anyone service them? (I do not know any of these answers... just questions one must ask themselves before laying down good money on any older speaker) At least with the Maggies you know what you are getting: one world class speaker with a warranty.

See my system on the virtual systems here at audiogon.

Tok20000
aka Keith
Telescope trade,

Modern M-1's may beat Maggie 3.6's soundwise... but the M-1 is a new $14k speaker and the Maggie is a new $4k speaker. If I could afford $14k on a speaker the Sound Labs speakers might be perfect.

I have never heard the Sound Labs A-1 or M-1, however, equating the two soundwise seems problematic since they are 10 years apart in age. Speaker design may have not jumped leaps and bounds in 10 years, but rest assured, the Maggies they make today: 3.6's and 1.6's and other lines, sound better than the lines Maggie sold 10 years ago. I really hope the same can be said for Sound Labs speakers, else they probably will have trouble competing with other speaker companies who do advance their technology forward.

The Maggie 3.6's are seriously better than the 3.5's,and I hope the M-1's are seriously better than the A-1's.

This and $.50 will get you a cheap cup of coffee.

Just food for thought.