New home power protection?

This summer I'm moving to SW MI where thunder storms are common.  They are rare where I live currently so have not worried about them here.  But with stories from others about damaged electronics from lightening I have questions since I'm not familiar with any of this.

1.  Is whole house surge protection at the panel effective and worthwhile?

2.  Apparently cable and phone line protection is separate and must be added to the panel protection.  I assume this is appropriate to add if going for whole house protection?

3.  The realtor ask about adding a generator.  I assume that is a separate issue to provide temporary power during an outage but does not offer line surge protection, correct?  The generator is triggered after the power fails, with or without a major surge (although that may be quite rapid), correct?

Thanks if you have knowledge on this issue to share. 
pryso
Since I live in Florida and we have 110+ lightning storms per year, I have a little bit of experience and knowledge.

1.  The only thing that may protect you from a direct strike is a properly installed and maintained lightning rod system....a whole house surge protector will not.  But, if you go with lightning rods, you need the whole house surge protection also because a direct hit will result in a ground shunted surge.

2.  A whole house surge protector will protect you if lightning hits your neighbors flag pole and then manages to find your wires as a pathway into your house...if you use a whole house surge protector and then individual surge protectors on your equipment...you will be reasonably protected...but not 100%.

3.  Because surges can enter through your sprinkler system and cable and phone wires, these need to be protected also.

4.  The only absolute protection during a storm is to shut down and unplug...

5.  The generator provides no protection but does give you alternate power if an ice storm or some other storm takes the grid in your neighborhood down for a few days.

In my case, I have whole house surge protection and surge protection on my electronics and appliances....I did not opt for lightning rods.  If I am away for days....or if the storm is severe and I am home, I unplug.

Hope this helps
I concur with snapsc.
There will be no 100% effective surge protection, but I would, at least, get a sacrificial whole house surge protector. They aren't very expensive, but should provide a good layer of protection.
Bob
I use a whole house protector wired into the mains box after a lightening strick took out an amp......a couple of years ago.....no issues since.