New DAC versus higher end used DAC?

Does anyone have direct experience comparing the previous generation of high end DAC (especially Muse model 2 plus, Meridian 563 and Timbre TT-1) with newer units like the Bel Canto (1 or 1.1) or the PT-3A.

I'm trying to upgrade my front end by spending as little as possible and some of the non-24/96 DACs which were very well received can be bought for1/4 of their original price. Or am I being foolish, are the new units so much better that a new $700 unit outperforms what was a 2-4K one three or four years ago?

I'm planning on using an ARCAM Alpha 7se I already own as transport (it has the same transport as the Alpha 9se). I have the Musical Fidelity A3cr amp and pre. TMC White and Yellow interconnects Analysis Plus oval 9 and 12 in a biwire run as speaker cable to Magnepan 1.5/QRs. Power is filtered by a Monster HTS-2000 and I have a mix of Stealth HAC, Kimber PowerKord and Dedicated Audio pds one power cords.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
fineberg

Showing 1 response by marcel1728

The best DAC I've come across is the Museatex Bidat, tested against samples such as both Audio Note 3 ($5,000) & 5 Signature ($35,000) models,
Manley DAC, Meridian, Bel Canto dac 1.1, Burmeister's mighty ($50,000) dac (very technical, cold & harsh), etc. None were as musical as the Bidat, regardless of the price.
Equipment used to audition these converters were:
•Transports
-C.E.C. TL0 MK2 , TL1x, TL51Z cd player/transport
-Museatex CCD transport.
-Meridian 500 transport
-Cary CD-302 CD player/transport.

Lamm Industries L1 and L2 Tube (both hybrid) linestage preamps.
Lamm ML2 vaccum tube triode power amps
Quicksilver -Silver 60 push pull power amps.
Quad ll 40 tube amps

Kharma Exquisite speakers
JM Lab electra 315 speakers

Kharma digital, analog and speaker cables
Harmonic Technologies Pro Silway interconnects and Pro-9 speaker cables

Linn Axis with Linn Ittok arm and Linn cartridge for comparison.
I bought the bidat for less than $800, and is worth every penny.
I hope that I was of some help.
Enjoy