Neumann KH310A Review

Thought this might be of interest to those audiophiles willing to think outside of the traditional box:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct13/articles/neuman-kh310a.htm
bob_reynolds

Showing 4 responses by bob_reynolds

Hi Ellie,

Actually, I own the Klein+Hummel O300D. The KH 310 is the newly redesigned model. It appears they've made several improvements and reduced the price.

As far as I know, they are designed to be used horizontally and that's how I'm using them. Each speaker is labeled Left or Right and I'm using them that way; the tweeters are on the inside.

The O300D is the best speaker I've owned (and heard). I've bought the last several pairs of speakers without hearing them first and I have not been disappointed. The previous active setup was JBL LSR4328 + LSR4312. The system before that was passive: Bryston BP26 preamp, Bryston 7BSST monoblock amps, Spendor S8e floor standing speakers.

With some speakers I tend to lean forward trying to hear into the recording, listening for details. That's not necessary with the O300D. Yet, the speaker is never tiring. It's as easy to listen to after 4 hours as it was after one.

I had an active system in my office: KRK VXT6 which I think is a tremendous value. A friend owns a pair of Focal Solo 6 and we both agree that the O300D is in a different league. I considered the JBL LSR6300, but I wanted a 3-way design.

I also own the KH 120A. It's the best small speaker I've heard. All speakers with vertically aligned drivers will have less vertical dispersion than horizontal. Thus, you'd think the horizontal dispersion of the O300D would be lacking, but that's not the case. Check out the dispersion plots on the Neumann web site. Then compare that to many expensive passive audiophile speakers on Stereophile's web site.

My only source is CD. Being truly professional recording monitors, I believe KH speakers will let you hear poor recordings as just that.

Hope this helps,
Bob

P.S., I use a pair of HSU ULS-15 subwoofers with the O300Ds.
Ellie, I misspoke about the orientation of the tweeter in my previous post. The tweeter and midrange drivers are on the outside when the Left labeled speaker is the left speaker and the Right labeled speaker is the right speaker.
I bailed on passive audiophile speakers about 7 - 8 years ago and I can't imagine going back. Given all their limitations it's amazing passive speakers sound as good as they do and it's a huge credit to the designers that can pull it off.

I've not heard the KH-310, but I'd be very surprised if it's radically different from the O300D. Hugh didn't mention any major sonic differences in his review.

The O300Ds are 2.5 - 3 feet from the front baffle to the rear wall. The left speaker is about 8 feet from a side wall and the right speaker is about 4 feet from a side wall. Every speaker I've owned in the last 15 years have gone in these same locations. I can't comment on placement issues since I've not done any experimenting other than toe-in.

Given the dispersion characteristics of the speaker they present a stable soundstage over a wide area. I'm sitting about 2 - 3 feet left of center (sofa was replaced with two recliners) and don't feel it's any worse than dead center.

The three drivers are as seamless as the frequency response shows -- perfect.

The KH-120s are intended for desktop use, but I removed my office system just before the purchase. I was considering a job change. I placed them on top of the O300Ds for a couple of months. I was stunned at how sonically similar they are to each other. It was only after switching back to the O300D that I realized a level of detail is missing from the KH-120. Not night-and-day, but obvious.

I was told by the pro dealer in Seattle that I bought the KH-120s from that Microsoft did a shoot-out with approximately 50 small active speakers and chose the KH-120 for their research projects. I was not aware that Microsoft has an anechoic chamber and does quite a bit of audio research.

Kind regards,
Bob
I'm running balanced cables. I made that switch when I bought Bryston electronics many years ago.