Need pre-amp help for Kappa 9 & Adcom GFA-555mkii

I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 9 speakers, Adcom GFA-555 mkii amplifier, Sony cdp-cx455 cd changer paired with Soundstream DAC-1, and an Onkyo p306 pre-amp. I am happy with my system for now... especially for what I have paid (about $1200 total). But the adcom and infinity both have a very bright sound. I feel like the Onkyo pre-amp is the weak link in the system right now. Any suggestions on a good "warm" sounding pre-amp for under $400 (used prices)?

Also, I am forced to run about 12 feet of speaker wire on both sides due to my set up. Any suggestion on a good wire to run on a longer run like this?
joshuacjackson26de4b

Showing 2 responses by barricadedbob

I'm not sure what you're running. You initially stated your driving the Kappa 9's with a mono blocked Adcom GFA-565 and further down in the paragraph, you say maybe stepping into more power like the 565's might help.

I've posted for help with my Kappa 9's. I have been using the 2) 565's to drive my Kappa 8's and they work perfectly!
I believe the problem is in the 9's and not the amps.

I read another thread where someone said they used 4) 565's to power 1 pair of 9's. I may be new to the game, but don't understand how that can be done! If you have any thoughts about running the 4) 565's to power 1 pair of 9's, I'd like to hear about it!

Thanks...Bob
Mitch,

The 565's have 1 RCA jack in the rear and 2 positive and 2 negative binding posts. Now, I connect 1 pair of speaker cables to hi pass on the k-8s and the other pair of cables to the low pass, same speaker...bi-wire.

Are you saying to only run (amp #1) 1 speaker cable to hi pass, another amp (#2) with cables to low pass, and duplicate this again for the other speaker, (amp #3 & #4)?

If this is what you are suggesting, will I get more power out of the amps by using only half their capacity?

Thanks...Bob