Need a good used tube pre $1500 or less

The only experience I have had was with an AR LS5mkIII. It is long gone. I no longer need balanced. For the most part I will use it for nothing more than to control volume. Any recommendations including you opinion of the sound characteristics would be welcomed.
jrud

Showing 1 response by phild

I would recommend checking out the old Counterpoint SA-5000 or SA-3000 pre's if you can find some in good shape. They are hybrid designs. The 3000 has one line stage tube, two phono tubes, a tube rectifier, and an outboard SS power supply. The 5000 has two line stage, two phono, and four more tubes for the outboard tubed power supply. I think both are very balanced sounding...rich, and full, but not overly "warm" (they have excellent, crisp highs too). I find them to be very natural and musical sounding. You can also change the sound to some extent with NOS tubes. Both have very nice mm/mc phono stages built in (the 5000 offers switchable loading options), and both have outboard power supplies. Some of the 5000's also have balanced outputs. Neither of them came with remote control. There is more info on them at www.altavistaaudio.com (a site run by the ex-Counterpoint designer, Mike Elliott).

I have never heard one, but the Audible Illusions tube pre is considered to be a classic and also available used in that price range. They are probably worth investigating too. Good luck.