Nautilus 805 setup question

Just got a pair of 805's and while fiddling around with placement, etc. I noticed that removing the grilles seems to improve clarity a little bit, but at the same time the speakers tend to reveal their position much easier; the soundstage is thus "distorted" left (speaker), right (speaker) and center become somehow "source points" instead of an evenly distributed soundstage in front of the listener. To make a long story short, the speakers don't "dissapear" so well anymore.
So is it grilles on or off? Similar experiences? any advice on tweaking/setup is also welcome.
Thanks
aboldor

Showing 2 responses by nrenter

I love the sound of my Nautilus 805s, but they just don't image as well as I like. However, I hate making blanket statements about a single component like that without listing my setup. I'm sure there are other factors - it's called a sound system for a reason:

(4) B&W Nautilus 805s
(1) B&W HTM-2
Rotel RSP-1066
Rotel RMB-1095
Rotel RQ-970BX
Music Hall MMF-5
Denon DVD-2500
Home Depot speaker cables

I listened to some Vandersteens and fell in love. I'll always keep my 805s, but I'm already plotting my next system (with a 2-channel focus). The Vandersteens are in my site.
Judit,

Thanks for the reply (9 months late). I kinda forgot about this thread.