NAD 3140 - I know nothing

I have just bought this NAD 3140 integrated amp and know nothing about it at all. In fact, I know nothing about hi fi at all, but I love well-reproduced music (jazz, classical, really old blues and other American "roots" music, and lots more besides), so I want to start learning. Unfortunately, my budget is extremely meagre.

I've searched around on the 'net and found references to a legendary NAD 3020 and a few others. They all seem to be well thought of, but nothing about this one, even specifications - and I don't even know how many watts output it has!

What I'd be most gratful for would be recomendations for cheap old speakers to match it, and a tuner too. Because I've read that CD players are more likely to be faulty, I've been thinking of using a new DVD player with it to play CDs (and kill two birds with one stone - I'll be able to watch DVDs too) - is that a good idea?

Just can't seem to get this kind of advice down here in New Zealand!
wetagogo

Showing 6 responses by wetagogo

Thanks folks, it's great to meet a bunch of enthusiats like yourselves who are willing to take time out to give a beginner a few pointers - and I will go along to stores and listen to speakers.

However, I probably have to stick with old second-hand speakers, for lack of cash. Of course, it's probably going to be a lot more hassle to track second-hand gear down, go to it's locale, etc.

So, if anyone does have any specific (old) speaker recomendations to help me narrow down the search, I can live with the fact that I might miss out on some gems because I didn't go to hear them because nobody recomended them. Especially if there are any jazz, classical, acoustic fans out there who have some smallish, cheap. old bookshelf type speakers they have been very happy with....
Thanks Gonglee3 - But I'm in New Zealand, so shipping from the US is a problem - and this seller only ships witin the US anyway. But I'll look for the MB Quart 240 here.
By the way, can anybody tell me what the button on the rear of the unit marked "S.L.C." does? It's next to the "soft clipping" button, which I think I understand.
Hi - have just bought these (off the site Gonglee3 recommended, and picked them up yesterday) because they were cheap and appear to be in good nick.

B&W V202

Impedaece-8n
Sensitivity-90db (2.83v,1m)
Power handing-65w (DIN)120w (peak)
Freguency range-45hz to 22khz(-6db)
5.5 inch woofer; 1 inch tweeter; 2 inch port
50cms high, 24cm wide, 23cms deep

Has anybody else got/had them? What do you think? Any comparisons with other speakers with similar specs?

I'll give you my (uninformed) opinion after I set them up with the amp and a CD player.

I've also started a thread in "Speakers" asking about these (hope that's not a breach of etiquette or anything!)
A few questions about the stuff at back of the amp.

Bridging button: If I release the bridging button from under it's cover, what will happen? And is it protected because re-setting it is problematic?

There is a Tuner input and an Aux input. If I want to connect my TV to the amp, must I use one of these, or can I use a Tape input?

What should I do about the "Ground" screw?

Is it correct that the supplied interconnect you goes between Pre-Amp Out and Normal In?

What is "Lab In" for?
Hi all - I've bought some speakers which really appeal to me and, I believe, let me hear what the 3140 can do.

I went to one of the few shops here in Auckland, New Zealand, which sell used gear. I took the 3140 and my (cheap, old) Sony CDP-XE500 CD player and some favorite CDs, and listened to about a dozen pairs of bookshelf (and a bit bigger) speakers.

The ones I bought really stood out against the new and used Mission, Audio Research, Klipsch, Morduant Short and others I listened to. They even sounded better than some much more expensive models.

These JBL HLS610 bookshelf speakers sounded so smooth, full, expressive, warm, clear, clean, detailed, and airy when compared to the others I just had to have them.

When I got home I searched the net for reviews and found a very enthusiastic one by Cory Greenburg of "Audio" magazine which, among other things, said "as soon as the HLS610s started singing, I knew that they were special. They had that immediatly recognizable rightness to their sound that seems to elude all but a very few audio designers" and "The sheer amount of recorded detail I heard from the HLS610s was a revelation". A .pdf copy of the review can be found here:

http://calasia.net/PDF/Magazine%20Reviews/Audio.pdf