My Fisher XP66c Speakers Went To The Dump Today

A very sad day. I've had them since 1979 - almost 40 years - and they were still working when I trashed them. And they weren't new when I got them. They were at least third hand.  Sure, they had a few dings and smushed corners, but they still sounded pretty good as long as you didn't crank 'em. And you could still polish up the veneer to a respectable sheen.

I used them until I got the Magnapans in the 80s, and then they became the bedroom system. And they outlasted the Magnapans by a long time. 

I tried to sell them, I tried to give them away, but no takers. So here's to Avery Fisher and the XP series. He knew how to build a really good small speaker.
dragunski
These were XP66c. I don't know whether the "c" means ceramic magnets or maybe they were just the 4th iteration or tweak to the original 66. But they were better than "firewood".

I don’t think I would have kept them all those years if they were that bad. They didn't have the midrange presence of the Bozaks, nor the deep bass, and you couldn't crank them to ear-spltting levels, but they were well balanced across the spectrum and had a nice high frequency balance for cymbals and drums. Good for female vocals, too.

Like I said, I couldn't give them away. But a couple of guys at the recycling center were eyeing them. They didn't ask me if they worked, but as I was leaving, they walked over to them and were checking them out. So who knows?

Maybe they will find a new home. Either that or they were looking for firewood. 

@rar1 : those XP-66’s were made prior to 1964. All Fisher production came from the Long Island plant until later in the decade. I apologize for my previous post.

@jasonbourne52 - all good.  funny reading something from 5 years ago.  My dad had a repair shop in Brooklyn, opened right after WW II.  Would go with him all the time to LIC, which had to be just after the mass exodus of the stereo companies from there.  

Be well, 

Rich