Music for setting up speakers

Im setting up my 30yr old Martin Logan Sequel II’s. I followed some ML guidelines and it was pretty straight forward. They are 8’ apart and 8’ from me. I towed them in using a flashlight and beam reflection, it was pretty easy, same for the reflection to be sure one isnt tilted forward or backward more than the other.

I’ve been listening to some Tidal tracks and wondering what you listen to to confirm your setup is right for you.

I listened to some solo violin and cello, some folky vocals, some Led Zepp just because :0)

maybe music where instruments are easily located ect

Thanx
kgveteran

Showing 10 responses by rodman99999

Whenever speaker set-up, imaging or soundstage are mentioned, I like to remind people about these resources: The following provide tests, with which one may determine whether their system actually images, or reproduces a soundstage, as recorded.  

Of course: no one is going to be listening to tests, etc.  BUT: it IS good to use these, to eliminate any variables, when making initial set-ups.

ie: On the Chesky sampler/test CD; David explains in detail, his position on the stage and distance from the mics, as he strikes a tambourine(Depth Test).

The LEDR test tells what to expect, if your system performs well, before each segment.

The Chesky CD contains a number of tests, in addition to the LEDR.

(https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php)

and: (https://www.amazon.com/Chesky-Records-Sampler-Audiophile-Compact/dp/B000003GF3)  

A Stereophile article, that explains the LEDR test:                                             http://www.stereophile.com/features/772/
                       "Maybe music where instruments are easily located, etc."

The OP is clearly interested in accurate sound staging and imaging, as (at least) one goal of their set-up (considered two, by some).

While one can use test instruments, to measure and balance SPLs and correct frequency response aberrations; they can't replace the human ear, when it comes to ambience recovery and voice placement (whether instrument or vocal).   What, exactly, would you measure, pray tell?

The scientifically designed tests and Chesky CD I mentioned, were created to allow one to use their ears and eliminate any variables, from their listening trials.

To quote Bobby Owsinksi from his book:  The Mastering Engineer's Handbook, 4th Edition:

"The LEDR test is a substitute for about $30,000 to $40,000 worth of test equipment.

Stereophile also has an article about it, written in 1989 (!) by Bob Katz.

Luckily it's 2016 and we don't have to buy expensive CDs anymore, as there is an online version of this test here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php

If the sound for the up image doesn’t go straight up from your loudspeaker,six feet in the air as you sit there in your position,then you’ve got a problem with your crossover or with reflections above the loudspeaker.

If the sound doesn’t travel from left to right evenly and smoothly with the left-to-right test,then you’ve got problems with objects between your loudspeakers.

And the same with the beyond signal, which is supposed to go from about one foot to the left of the left speaker, gradually over to one foot to the right of the right speaker, which detects reflections from the side wall."

@murphythecat -    

AGAIN: what, exactly, are you measuring; to obtain information, regarding ambience recovery (recorded sound space width, depth and height) and accurate voice placement (whether instrument or vocal)?

What are you using for a source, to produce the signal you're capturing/measuring, with your mic?
@murphythecat -

So many keystrokes and still no explanation, as to how your microphone, with your mentioned Pink and White Noise, detects/measures accurate sound staging and image placement.

Sabine reflections can/will be measured in any room (treated or not), with the right equipment (which VERY view audio buffs will possess), but- still reveal nothing, regarding imaging or sound stage info recovery.     They can only help one ASSUME: everything is groovy!

Regarding knowing whether the reproduced sound stage and image placement is accurate or not, using recorded music:

Just my opinion but: I don't see, outside of having experienced a performance in person, from the position of the mics (in the case of image placement, height/depth of platform, etc), and/or- having an intimate knowledge of the acoustic environment itself (if the metric is also accurate reproduction of a sound space), a listener could make an accurate assessment, as to whether their reproduction is correct or not.

ESPECIALLY: when so much depends on the way the people at the mixing and recording consoles decided to pan the feeds and tracks.

OR: is the goal, simply to delight the listener's ears*, with the results?

Nothing wrong with that, of course; as that's all that matters/counts, to the vast majority of music lovers.

*It's All about: HAPPY LISTENING!
@kgveteran -

You asked, "... wondering what you listen to to confirm your setup is right for you."  

I answered.

Just thought the expressed condescension, toward those seeking better sound, in a non-professional manner, should be addressed.

Parting shot, on that front (can do nothing but help one's assumptions):  https://www.arauacustica.com/files/publicaciones_relacionados/pdf_esp_140.pdf

Didn't occur to me, a little info would hurt.

But- it's your thread, so: have fun. 
       "Maybe ur just to busy with mics and tape measures, do you guys even listen to your systems, or do you just “use” them like all the words im reading, come on ;0)"

If your referring to me: my love for music formed a few decades before I ever owned a serious system.    That goes back to Elementary School, music/trumpet classes (1959-ish).

Played guitar in a band as a teen and have run sound for numerous others, as well as music venues, in the decades since those years.

There's been much more, in my musical/technical experience, but; what have I to defend, if I'm just trying to obtain a reasonable simulacrum, of that which I am so familiar?  

ie: The real thing.
@muphythecat-     

"what?"

You're OBTUSE!

@fiesta75-          
                     "...but he's accurate for initial setup."

I've always done the same (whether in my own home, or a customer's) far as initial setup, but: there's no way Pink Noise and a mic can predict the reproduction of an accurate sound stage and image placement*, which is about what the OP seemed interested.

Even if using the FFT and reverberation time measurements (time gating) as do some of the latest room correction programs and analyzers.

*ONLY one's ears can detect that and there are way too many variables.  
             https://blogs.keysight.com/blogs/tech/rfmw.entry.html/2020/12/16/spectrum_analysisba-ObEM.html

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/loudspeaker-measurements
       Sorry OP, but facts are facts and when someone takes them to task...