Most "Musical" sounding speaker cable under $1000

I am probably going to get knocked around for the use of that mysterious word "MUSICAL" in this tread. However would like some input from members who have tried a lot of speaker cables: and would like to know what is most musical sounding speaker cable you have ever owned or presently own under $800. Multiple choices is also good.

FOR ME, the term "musical means" listenable, and holding the listener's attention, and satisfying. Also, it means very smooth without sounding warm or fuzzy. Lastly, it means....a unique presentation of the musical event never heard or experienced before.

Or,... is it also: more detail?? more musical cues that convey the music and its acoustic space? or a richer palette of tonal color and harmonics??? I am sure it is heard and defined differently by everyone
sunnyjim

Showing 6 responses by sunnyjim

I want to thank the last three members who responded.

Sps55. I could not find Crimson R.M. Music Link listed here on AG. Do you have a direct link?? Thanks, Jim
Guys, I appreciate your advice, but let us chill a bit. I have been doing audio for 40 years, and understand what both Newbee and Almarg have stated.

The basic system (without specifying turntable) consists of a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagio; Bel Canto PRE-3 pre-amp/line stage; Red Dragon M-500 digital class D monoblocks, and a newly purchased Cambridge Audio 550C modded by Mapleshade Audio.( previously used a Rega Apollo) Chord Chameleon IC between CD and pre-amp. Nordost Red Dawn IC connects amps to pre-amp.

Speaker cable is Audio Art SC5 which is relatively inexpensive, and good, but after a few week of use is not cutting it. Therefore, I am looking to find a "synergistic", "euphonic", "musical", compatible (add your own adjectives) speaker cable that IS NOT MEGA, OR JUST EXPENSIVE.

I am still considerING the more expensive Audio Art SC-5; Morrow Audio's S-4 or SP 6 reference speaker cable. Both are over $1000 for a 12 ft pair which i must use in my current set-up. I have more less eliminated Paul Spletz's Anti-Cable which is ridiculously inexpensive. Soundstring Gen II and Nordost's new LEIF series speaker cables are outside contenders. Thanks again
Thanks to all who added their choices of speaker cable to the discussion. To Almarg, I should have checked with Acoustic Zen about other choices than their own cables, but it seemed pointless in some ways However, your point is well taken, but checking with owners of the same speaker or others that are 5 to 6 ohm impedance. The Adagios are officially 6 ohms

To Drubin, I previously had AZ's Hologram 2 speaker cable which was approaching the musicality I was after. However, I had to sell them due to their awkward size and girth and they had spade lugs which are a nuisance to keep in place. However, as good as they are, they produced a smaller sound stage than was previous Analysis Oval 12. Bass was good but not exceptional. I decided to try Audio Art SC-5 cable to save some money and to evaluate the lower priced overachiever.

At first, I was surprised that the sound stage was wider and a tad higher, and bass was tighter, and the overall sound somewhat easier to listen to. The AZ's Hologram 2's at retail for 10 ft pair is approx 6 times greater than a 12 ft pair of AA's SC-5....Go figure!! However, after a few weeks of listening, I concluded that the AA's did not have the mid-range detail or finesse of the Hologram 2. I thought there was about a third less music being conveyed. I have to say that AA's presentation brought new life or zest to several CD's I played (Another aspect of that "musical" quality, I am sure)

Nevertheless, Rob Fritz of Audio Art offered me a decent trade-up allowance toward his SC-5SE cable which is more money, but I decided to test the choppy waters of speaker cable mania instead hoping to see if there is truly a low to medium price cable that is exceptional.

Newbee, Because I cannot contact you off line, have you ever used this Canare 4S11 Star Quad speaker cable for a reasonable length of time to provide some impressions?? I checked their website out via Audiogon; they seem similar to the "Parts Express" operation

Nevertheless, I need a 12 foot pair with connectors, at a dollar a foot as you claim, I would only be spending 24 dollars, plus connectors and shipping. These prices make Anti-Cable and Jw Cable look overpriced.

I e-mailed John at Jw Cable, and he explained the process used to create the cable. However, like the Anti Cable speaker cable, it is stiff like a coat hanger, and trying to install either cable behind a vertical audio rack could be troublesome, if not unsightly. if jaggedly suspended between the two speakers. This will surely trip the DEFCON 3 alert from the wife....however I always ignore the whinny sound!!! Though I am curious, if there are sound quality differences between the two cables. Anti-Cables "seems" to have racked up alot of customer testimonials which are "numbered" in segments and appear in the "Cable" category sale listings....Thanks for the advise and recommendation of the Canare Cable
Audiofeil, I checked the AG directory for GG cables, no such manufacturer. I recall from past threads you are an audio dealer. Why not participate in the discussion, and not try to be a comedian, because I am not amused!!! Jim
Sps. Thanks for getting back to me. I found the listing under "Crimson Electronics" and contacted them. Creston was very helpful and there is a 15 day to 30 day home trial option Regards Jim. PS. Many thanks to those new responders for their advice and comments.