Moscode 401HR vs Pass Labs X150.5

So...for those that followed my previous thread, I am still in the hunt for the best amp under $2500 (after auditioning and returning a set of mono amps). I really have not been able to find much on the differences between these two amps sonically. I know the Pass has better resale value, but that's not my primary concern, although it is a concern for sure. The Moscode is rated at 200w into 8ohms (300 into 4ohms), the Pass at 150w (also 300w into 4 ohms I believe). I also know that Moscode improved upon the 401HR with the 402AU. Anyway, my tastes are bluesy rock, female vocalists and jazz. My system is as follows

AIFF lossless => Peachtree Nova USB DAC/Preamp => ??AMP?? => Dynaudio Contour S3.4 spkrs (4ohm load, 88db)

If anybody out there can offer comments as to how these two amps compare (or don't!) I would appreciate it. Thanks
fredorama

Showing 1 response by jeffga

I owned the Moscode and it is very nice but be careful of the impedence (speakers). It is not recommended for 4 ohm speakers (even by Moscode...also see the Steriophile comments on the speaker impedence). My speakers are just a tad above 4 ohms and the result was a softening of the top end and a bit of looseness in the bottom. The mids were fantastic. I ended up preferring a solid state amp in my rig for the reasons mentioned above (put the tubes in the preamp). Just my thoughts....your experience may be different.