Monitor speaker recommendations

Hello all
Just looking for some of you to give me some ideas as a starting point.
I am in the market for some stand mount monitor speakers. I currently have my old PSB stratus gold i's. They are just too big for my new room. I will be driving the new speakers with Cary tube mono blocks rated at 75 w/ch.
While I realize the best method would be to audition a few, I live in a very rural area and will need to drive at least 4 hours to the nearest stereo shop, so I was hoping to get some suggestions before heading out. Budget is no more than $1,000.
Thanks all
skipper320

Showing 4 responses by skipper320

Any experience with the original vienna Haydn? There is a pair for sale here for $345. I am inclined to give them a try for that price. I listen to mostly jazz and vocal music, and mild rock/pop
Thanks for the responses. I hooked up my old B&W DM 602's to see what they sounded like. I had forgotten how nice they are. I like their sound but they just seem a little rough around the edges to me. I am looking for a little more refined sound. I didn't seem miss bass from the PSB' s as much as I expected. My new speakers will be stand mounted to answer the above question.
Thanks again all. I will be back periodically as the search continues
Does anyone know or compared the Focal 700 vs 800? Not sure i am really grasping what the difference is say between the 706 vs the 806. I did briefly have a pair of 807 v's when I had a ss power amp and i really liked them. Anyone use either with tube amplification?
I eventually decided on a pair of vienna Haydn's. I got a really good deal on a pair and heard a pair driven by a similar system and they sounded fantastic. Thanks for all of your rec's. I did manage to make the 4 hour trip and audition a bunch of the speakers mentioned here. The Haydn's just seemed right to me. I'm hoping they will sound as good in my system.
Thank you to all who replied to my thread.
Best regards and happy listening!
The skipper