Monitor Audio Pl 300ii vs. KEF Reference 5

I own the KEF Reference 5s.  I borrowed the Monitor Audio Pl300 ii speakers for comparison, which is still under way.  Thoughts so far:  Both are good speakers.  The KEFs provide a lot of detail.  Listening to classical music, you can hear orchestral instruments and sections pretty clearly.  Background and counter melodies can be identified. Piano music is very realistic.  The MAs do not provide as much instrumental detail but they do have a more mellow, deeper, broader sound.  Which is better is really a matter of personal choice.  As I said, I’m still listening so these are some quick preliminary reactions.  More later.  
fast

Showing 2 responses by islandmandan

fast, you don't mention the orientation of your speakers in the room. Are they situated in front of the short wall, or the other way? My listening room is somewhat similar, 16' X 34' with cathedral ceilings. There are no room treatments used, nor are they necessary.

Other than a room such as Mike Lavigne's, it is the most perfect room I have heard anywhere. It is fully carpeted, with two large couches. I would hazard a guess that your large room has similar potential.

Regards,
Dan
fast, my only remaining question is how far away from the wall are your speakers? The front/center of mine are 75", and toed-in so they intersect at my listening position. This has served me well for 7-8 years, though some folks don't have the same placement options due to the WAF situation.

It sounds as though our rooms are set up in nearly identical fashion, except for speaker placement (distance)? from the wall.

Best of luck with your speaker choice/setup. By the way, my speakers, custom Tannoy 12" Dual Concentric ca 1975, though highly modified w/very heavy cabinets, and other mods as well.

Regards,
Dan