Monitor Audio Pl 300ii vs. KEF Reference 5

I own the KEF Reference 5s.  I borrowed the Monitor Audio Pl300 ii speakers for comparison, which is still under way.  Thoughts so far:  Both are good speakers.  The KEFs provide a lot of detail.  Listening to classical music, you can hear orchestral instruments and sections pretty clearly.  Background and counter melodies can be identified. Piano music is very realistic.  The MAs do not provide as much instrumental detail but they do have a more mellow, deeper, broader sound.  Which is better is really a matter of personal choice.  As I said, I’m still listening so these are some quick preliminary reactions.  More later.  
fast

Showing 6 responses by fast

Erik, in response to your question:
Audio Research VT130SE amp
Audio Research LS22 preamp
Audio Research PH3 phono stage
Naim Unitiserve
Aurilac Vega DAC
Rega Planar 6 with Dynavector cartridge 
Audioquest interconnects and speaker cable
The room is 16’ x 24’ with a high ceiling.  Not ideal for sound.  Very limited on acoustic treatments (waf)—meaning it won’t fly unless virtually invisible. 

I am still listening to the speakers. 
The speakers are in front of the short wall.  The room has a large area rug and two large upholstered sofas which are parallel to each of the long walls plus two upholstered chairs which face the speakers .  Behind one of the speakers are two doors with large glass panes. The doors have widow coverings (accordion shades) but the glass probably doesn’t help.  
Dan,
My speakers are 26 inches from the rear wall and 32 inches from one side wall, 44 inches from the other (for waf and aesthetic reasons).  I may experiment with moving them equidistant from the side walls.  They are slightly toed in but I’m also experimenting with this.  Very frustrating trying to compare the Monitor Audios and KEFs since they each have strengths and weaknesses but hard to say which reproduces music better.  Still listening.  
I’m not familiar with the Tannoys but I do like British speakers.  My previous speakers were Proac Response 3.5, Proac Response 3, Celestion 700, Celestion 600.  
I am about ready to return the Monitor Audio Pl300ii speakers to the dealer who lent them.  While they have many virtues, such as the mellow, deep sound I described earlier, overall I prefer the KEF Reference 5s.  The KEFs do produce the holographic images and identifiable instruments described by yyz in referring to the Blades, but in a more conventional looking cabinet. The Monitor Audio speakers are a little laid back and dull in comparison (sorry MA owners—just my personal opinion). My wife and an audiophile friend, both of whom have better hearing than me, independently had the same observations. To provide one example, we listened to an excellent vinyl recording first on the MAs and my friend  said he was very impressed.  We switched to the KEFs and his eyes lit up, describing it as a night and day difference, the music sounding much more alive with the KEFs. By  the way, yyz, you also may want to hear the KEF Reference 3, which has many of the same attributes as the Blades and the Reference 5 in a shorter cabinet at a lower price. You are lucky to have so many nearby options. 
Funny—during my auditioning I  searched for a nearby dealer who had the Reference 5 on display. I even called KEF for help.  No luck.  But three local dealers had the Reference 3.  I bought the Reference 5s based on hearing the 3 and liking their imaging and soundstage, but without ever hearing the 5.  
I am the O.P. for this thread. I have the Kent Foundry edition KEF Reference 5 in white. In my house (which has a modern decor) they look fantastic.  In fact, a couple of dealers have talked about working with KEF to get professional photographs for advertising (I’d post a picture here if I knew how). As for sound, I wasn’t sure when they arrived but after a year plus, they are broken in and sounding great.  I especially like the wide soundstage and holographic imaging.  I was at a live classical symphony performance recently and came away thinking that my speakers could never capture the power of that performance.  When I got home and played the same music, I was surprised at how close it sounded to the real thing.