Modifying the TAD-60

I was an early adopter of this pretty good amp that was imported by the late Paul Grzybek. Paul was very good communicator an shared a lot with me over the years before he passed.
I was inspired to do some mods by what one A'goner sold earlier this year, which was a massive rebuild. This amp is actually listed again presently.
Mostly PS stuff which I am planning to do, but also some changes to the driver circuit. I will be starting this weekend and reporting my progress and welcome any info or suggestions, of course criticism as long as it is in the DIY spirit.
pelliott123

Showing 4 responses by pelliott123

Thanks for all the good info, I just disregard the negative stuff from the trolls,
I replaced the coupling caps in the driver stage with Clarity and the 68k between the two stages with an AudioNote tantalum. I like what I am hearing. I have big power tranny and big 193Q for choke input. using a pair of 6au4 for rectifiers. Do not have the smoothing caps yet. Still looking
I do have a schematic from BEZ amps which is about 90% accurate. Paul G did make some mods, mostly bypassing resistors with small caps and other small mods I am still looking for others.
I decided to remove the volume control and shorten the input wires considerably. I may even mount the RCA's right next to the 12ax7. I wish I could add photos here. if anybody wants to discuss further send me an email:
pelliott321atyahoodotcom
I am building the PS now, so far large Toroid for the B+, two 6au4 half wave rectifiers, hammond 193Q choke. For this first phase of the PS transformation I am going to keep the stock tranny for tube filaments and bias voltages. PS new B+ supply will be choke input. Still collecting parts.
Later I will be working on the bias PS.
I will report if removing the pot and shortening the input connections do anything
I have replaced the coupling caps and the stock wire in the signal path with better quality, and the improvements are quite noticeable. I also removed the volume pot from the input circuit and shorten the input wiring quite a bit. I am starting to hear what I call "magic" in the system. Its what I hear when I am in the presence of a truly high end system. I am sure this is partly to do with the coupling caps burning in. This is quite exciting, hearing the changes after living with this amp since new in 2007.
I want to move the input jacks right next to the 12ax7 but this is going to be difficult because of the sub-chassis that the small tubes are mounted on. so this is going to wait until after I finish the PS rebuild