Modded Players

I'm interested in modding my Phillips 963sa. I'm wondering if any of the A-Gon community would comment on the pro's and cons of their experience modding their machine. If you respond could you tell me which player you had done. Who did the mod? Are you satisfied with it? Does it compete with the top shelf players? Any comments/suggestions/opinions would be appreciated.
krelldog

Showing 5 responses by jp1208

Krelldog, how is the 2910 sounding? I see that Underwood uses the soft feet under the player for vibration control.
I used the vibra killers for about a day and took them off. The highs seemed to roll off and made the sound to soft or had less air. If your system plays on the bright side these would be good. Vibra killers are nice for that reason. I went back to the BDR racing cones and the sound opened up again. The cones also sit on top of maple wood.
Krelldog, It is amazing how many parts can be changed out in these units. Top players still have weak parts in them, just not as many. The Marantz and JVC I have took about 200-300 hours to fully break in. I used a Purist audio cd enhancer to help them along. Also another critical part of setup will be vibration control. Black diamond racing works well. I just ordered some vibra killers from L A T International so we will see how those fair.
One major thing that was missing in your setup was the cdp, it will make those amps shine.
Krelldog, I had my Marantz sa12s1 player done by the Upgrade company and it turned out great! But the shocker was when David Schulte owner of the Upgrade company sent me a moddest JVC player and told me to try this against the Upgraded Marantz and it was hard to tell which was better. About 2 weeks later he told me to send the JVC back to him and he was going to send another JVC (same model different unit) to try again. This time the JVC beat the Marantz and I was stunned. He did the same thing with a guy that has a Ayre CX7 and the JVC played just as well.
If this makes you feel any better he Upgrades Reimyo units and a lot of Esoteric's. I have never asked him about any Phillips units but I have heard good reviews on that 963sa. You are definetly headed in the right direction with modifications and actually the unit will not be totally modified. Bad parts will be taken out and good parts put in which is easier on the pocket book. Just look at his testimonials and then call him. He is very knowledgable and trust worthy. He could have easily took my money and upgraded my Proceed HPA-3 amp. Instead he told me to go and buy the Nuforce 9.02 amps because he is that impressed with those amps and now so am I.
The two players I have now beat out the Krell DVD Standard, Arcam FMJ DV27a and that was with the first JVC unit. Schulte has compared a ton more units against each other even after the upgrades are done. I was told the Denon 2900 was a great player after the upgrades. Easily better than his upgraded JVC he has now. It is better than his upgraded transport and dac unit which I dont get into.
I do not have one regret with these moddifications and plan to do more. I hope this helps.
Krelldog, Ric could probably give you some recommendations on who to maybe go to and what unit to use.
Krelldog, It will play better than anything stock! Or should I say most anything stock. There are stock players that beat the little JVC, one being the reimyo. I dont think the reimyo would stand a chance with your Denon. After the Reimyo is upgraded though, no chance.
I would love to hear all these modded players but there is no way that is going to happen. Let us know what you think after it breaks in a little.