Missing shipment

I recently made a purchase for $860 for a used item from a private seller. The seller shipped USPS Priority Mail. USPS tracking says that it was delivered. It was not by my door that day or for the next 3 days. This is the very first time in my many years of buying/selling that a package has gone missing. I live in a safe neighborhood. The seller did not insure it. We did not discuss insurance. I assumed that he would do so since $860 is a significant sum. He has 100% positive feedback – as do I. I’ll be filing a ’missing mail’ report with the USPS in the hopes that it will be located. But, since it wasn’t insured, will I be stuck with this loss?
steakster
Post removed 
Okay, you've established that you have a winning case. If the fellow you're dealing with is a stand up guy you won't need any of that. He'll just refund. If however, it's not that easy, watch your time limits. If your Paypal purchase was funded by a credit card you have a year to file. If however your Paypal purchase was funded by your Paypal balance, your time frame to file is much shorter. Stay in contact with Paypal and don't exceed your time limit because you could turn a winning case into a loss by taking too long. It's best to deal with the seller directly and give him a reasonable chance to do the right thing. Be careful though if any delay should compromise your time to file for recompense.
Post removed 
I have packages that are still in transit since couple years ago. Tracking is virtual that may be far from real.
You can update tracking any time you want, but it ain't guarantee what factually happened.