Micromega Stage 1 vs. Stage 3 vs. everything else in this list...

Recently picked up a Micromega Stage 1 cd player for $200 to go with my Creek 4330SE and Vandersteen 2c speakers. The Stage 1 sounds great. Smooth, warm, airy, musical, etc. I may have the opportunity to get a Stage 3. I'd of course sell the Stage 1. Cost for the Stage 3 will be anywhere from $400-$465. However, it comes with a new laser. For that price range, should I go for the Stage 3, or are there other options out there for the same price range (or lower) that will sound better than the Stage 3? Does anybody have experience with both of these players and the difference in sound quality between the S1 and S3? And, is the price worth it? I had a similar post regarding cd players and it got me thinking about other possibilities compared to the Stage 1. Someone had mentioned the Rotel RCD-1072, while another suggested the Rega Apollo. Other players I've been curious how they compare to the Micromega's about include the Rega Jupiter, Creek CD43 mkII, Oppo 83SE, Cal Audio Icon mkll PowerBoss, etc. 

jsbach1685

Showing 1 response by g11657

I've owned a micro mega stage 3 for fifteen years.I also own a rega planet,an arcam cd33,and a musical fidelity kw dm 25 transport and dac.I think the micro Mega sound quality is very good and holds its own with all these players.