Micro Seiki MA-505 variants - any oracles around?

I wonder if somebody out there possesses encyclopaedic knowledge about the Micro Seiki MA-505 variants and can tell me:

1. if the MA-505X is similar to a Mk I, Mk II or Mk III?

and

2. if the MA-505X does indeed have silver wiring and if that's the only difference between it and the regular models?

Fingers crossed and thanks in advance!
agrippa

Showing 3 responses by br3098

There is a lot of confusion over the differences between various MA-505 models.  I can only provide you with what is my understanding and others may correct me if I am mistaken.

MA-505 Mk I - the original MA-505 dynamically balanced tonearm.  A 9" "S" arm w/ copper wiring.  Still very good by today's standards

Mk II - The MkII is am improved version of the MkI

MA-505 Mk III - 9" straight tonearm w/ copper wiring.  It was designed to mate with very low compliance cartridges which were all the rage in the 1980s

MA-505 L - a 12" version of the Mk II tonearm.  I have never seen one that was based on the Mk I but maybe someone else has.

MA-505 S is a 9" MkII arm, supposedly wired with silver wire.  Note: Maybe - I once owned an "S" arm and when I rebuilt it I found that the internal wire was silver-coated copper.  Maybe mine was an anomoly

MA-505 LS is a 12" arm version of the MA-505 S

MA-505 X - a 9" MkII arm featuring a heavier arm base

MA-505 XII - improved version of the MA-505 X.  Includes heavier arm mounting bracket and oil dump mechanism

MA-505 LX - 12" version of MA-505 X

MA-505 XS - 9" MA-505 X tonearm w/ silver wiring

MA-505 LX II - an improved version of the 12" MA-505 LX.  Same improvements as the MA-505 XII

Guys,

I forgot to add that (apparently) the XII and LXII tonearms also featured silver wiring.  Again, color me skeptical if you own one you tell me.

But all in all the MA-505 line are very good tonearms; if not equal to those in the highest class.  I find them to be unequaled on classic Japanese DD and belt drive decks, which is what they were designed for.

chakster, you are correct of course.  My bad.  I meant to say that the MkIII tonearm was designed for HIGH-compliance cartridges.

Thanks for the catch.