Micro Seiki BL-111, how good is it ?

Hi,
I have been looking to try out a belt drive TT. I was suggested to look at Micro Seiki options, especially RX-1500 and RX-5000. I have not yet been able to locate a reasonably priced ones. But I have an option of buying a well maintained BL-111 for a good price. How good is the 111 ?

P.S: I am not very enchanted with the modern TT offerings. 
pani

Showing 1 response by spatialking

I have a RX1500 along with the outboard motor and vacuum options.   I am very pleased with it and see no need to replace it with a newer unit.  Personally, I think it is good enough to run with the newer big buck units.  

Keep in mind that this is old school engineering, so low noise, low torque, was king of engineering.   Today we have motors and drive electronics that simply didn't exist 30 years ago.   I am looking at designing a new motor control board with a new BLDC motor assembly, to bring the design current with modern thinking.   However, as it stands, it is a very good unit and generally easy to service.  

To answer your question though, I don't have any personal experience with the BL-111 unit.   It is made by MS, so I suspect it is a pretty good unit right off.   Check out the torque by using a dry record brush and see how it slows down.   Listen to it with an LP which has sustained piano solos, those are usually pretty tough to get right on TT's.  Listen for rumble, feedback, and other anomalies.   If the unit passes to your satisfaction, grab it!