Melos Audio MAT 1000 or Audio Research VT 200?

Can't find any thread discussions on the Melos MAT 1000. Here's hoping someone owns or has owned them and can tell their opinion. The prices are the same for either amp, $3500 used.
Starting the tube thing. Want to start with something that won't make me want to trade it in anytime soon. Need to biamp, thinking about tubes for high end, solid state on low end. Picked up a set of Infinity Rs1's on ebay.
No preamp yet. Have heard nice things about Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (No Remote). Getting lazier and want something with a remote. (Now using 2 Marantz 2500's, preamp out, one amp top, one amp bottom.)
Recommendations or warnings?
Thanks for your time!
fbi

Showing 1 response by sedond

melos audio restorations is out there to service & upgrade melos components.

http://melosaudio.com/

i would not hesitate to buy *any* used melos equipment - i bought a music-director preamp used from the audio outlet, but they agreed to ship it to m.a.r. for inspection & any tweaking needed. i only *wish* i could afford to buy a pair of their stereo mat180's - i *do* want to bi-amp. but, due to known reliability issues w/older melos product, i would *not* buy a melos amplifier unless it went to m.a.r. for updates to known achilles heel problems they had. they also have sonic upgrades, which would be very tempting, if i had the money...

so, fbi - buy the amps - you'll love 'em! but, have 'em shipped to las vegas 1st... and, ttl2000, if your amps have not been to m.a.r., pack 'em up & send 'em, before something *does* blow up! ;~)

for solid-state amps, i love my electrocompaniets, but... anyone wanna trade me their melos amps for a mint pair of aw60ftt's? :>)

regards, doug s.