Melos Audio MA200 PH: your opinions, please

I have the chance to purchase this preamp and I may even listen to it in my my own own rig.
But I must confess that I don't know much about it and the test will be necessarily short, I cannot keep it for weeks and I won't have much time for listening these days.
So I'm asking you comments about the general characteristics (talkin' about sound) of the preamp, would it be a good match with my ARC 100.2 power amp and B&W 804s speakers, would it better my ARC LS7 or not... and moreover about reliability: I know Melos does not exist anymore and M.A.R. neither, but are these devices frail or flimsy ?
my ARC LS7 is not much younger but never had a problem up to date... what about Melos in your experience ?

thanks, ciao
daniele
daniele_g

Showing 1 response by frogman

Daniele, I am a little confused by the model #. I own a Melos 222c preamp with built in phono section and separate power supply. I am aware of a 220 phono section and a 210 line stage; never heard of a 200. In your comment you suggest that "looks like the phone section is great". So, it has a line stage and phono section? Is it in one chassis, or does it have a separate ps? Are you sure you are not to referring to the 222?

Anyway,I know the 222 very well and have heard the 220 phono section. I agree with Steuspeed re the build quality (adequate at best, although the circuit board, layout and parts are good). But, I disagree with him about the sound. They are fine sounding pieces and IMO a least on a par with the AR pieces you are comparing it to. They definitely benefit from good tubes as far as noise is concerned.