McIntosh MHT200 vs B&K AV508 Vs Separates?

Some time ago we moved and downsized our system. We currently have a B&K AV307 as the Receiver/Amp/Processor. Our L/R speakers are B&W Naut 805's/ center is B&W HTM2. Rears are ceiling mounted B&W's wit a Velodyne 8" subwoofer also in the system. Have a Krell 250cd also. We are in the process of upgrading and based on space and listening habits 75% movie and 25% 2 channel are probably better off with a receiver. Does anyone have any thoughts on a better system than the Mac or B&K separates. Would like to keep outlays around $6-$7K. Thanks in advance for any help.

John Butler
jmb731

Showing 1 response by ibog1

I have had two Mac receivers and I liked some things they did, but they are just too expensive for what you get. The MHT 200 is way under-powered for the money and I feel you will be wanting to add more power and considerable expense by acquiring more Mac gear (its all gotta look the same, right?) The recent reviews on the B&K pre/pro in the The Absolute Sound were not very favorable. They liked the amp but not the pre, said it was a bit white sounding, kinda dry and sterile. So I would recomend the big Rotel seperates, I know you stated that a receiver is what you could probably use, but do it right and get all the power you need and high quality sound at the same time. I currently have the RSP 1098 pre/pro and the RMB 1095 200 watt amp and have stopped my search for better. I would not propose that these are the best out there, but I will claim they are the best I have heard and not spend silly money. To top it off, Rotel has a special synergy with B&W speakers, that can be seen on many chat forums. I personally am runnig mine with B&W 803's and the B&W CDM line of speakers, and the sound is phenomenal. The total price for both with your dealer discount (10%) would put you right around $4500.00, well within budget. HTH