McIntosh MCD205 vs. McIntosh MCD201

What the sound quality differences between the McIntosh MCD205 and the new McIntosh MCD201? I own the MCD205, McIntosh MA6900 Integrated amp and Souns Faber Grand Piano Domus speakers. I just heard about the MCD201 so your comments are requested. I am running a balanced connection from the MCD205 to the Integrated. Thanks
hgeifman

Showing 1 response by bebopnow

I just bought McIntosh MCD201 player and am selling it 3 weeks later. My one year old Arcam cd192 had transport problems then ate a CD. In frustration I thought I was upgrading to a better player and bought the Mac. Although the build is obviously much sturdier than the Arcam, the sound is not close to it. By contrast to the Arcam, I feel like I am listening through speakers. With the Arcam and a good cd it sounded almost live. The highs on the Mac sound like tin, the bass has much less definition.

I tried upgrading the cable to a Silver Streak Kimber. It helped, but the basic difference between the two players remained. Although I loved the Arcam's sound, this weekend I plan to audition a Moon player.