McIntosh MC2000 vs. Goldmund 29

I have ARC VT100mkiii amp and considering an upgrade. The two amps I am considering are MC 2000 and Goldmund 29. This may seem odd choice betwee tube and SS but I want to hear your advices. FYI, the rest of my system is ML 31.5 transport, goldmund 21+ DAC and digital pre direct to amps, Voce Divina Tenore speakers. Thanks,
cjpark

Showing 1 response by bwhite

I've had a few high end amps over the years and some of them I felt were better than the MC2000 for many reasons. Out of the box, the MC2000 is "alright", there are some areas where its good and others where its not so good.

After a brief bout with unemployment, I ended up keeping my MC2000 vs. the other amps -- I had to sell much of my system.

Since then, I have been tube rolling in my MC2000 and discovered it can sound pretty amazing if packed full of GEC KT88's. The improvement over the Stock Svetlana tubes is massive and really-really makes this amp quite loveable.

I initially regretted having to sell my previous amplifiers but after hearing the MC2000 with the GEC's, I've got to say, I don't miss them one bit.

**I'm curious to know what Power Cords you've all chosen for the MC2000. Since the IEC connector is facing upwards and the rear bracket is about 3.5 inches above it, this makes it almost impossible to use some of the top PCs on this amp. We need something flexible!

Currently I am using a Cardas Golden which is a not the greatest PC compared to others (on other components) but does a good job tightening the bass on the MC2000 (a bit of a weak spot on that amp) and ads ample weight/body.

I know there's got to be a better PC so.. tell me guys, what have you found?