McIntosh -- good for show, not for sound, says dealer

More unvarnished truth from YouTube.
"real audiophiles...know it doesn't sound that good"

https://youtu.be/sMUQqAagKm0?t=181

Real audiophiles -- be aware. You've been read the Riot Act. 

Discuss.

128x128hilde45

Why would anybody listen to this guy?  Physically disgusting and doesn't know what he's talking about.

I bet Mikey would be open to someone bringing some McIntosh amps to replace the amps he has in his system. I would bet money that the McIntosh amps would not sound nearly as good as his current amps sound. Just my guess, but Mikey would have McIntosh amps in his system if they sounded better than what he has. He was just giving his educated opinion….nothing else. 

I am a fairly hard core audio guy.  MacIntosh has place in our world.  I remember as a teen in the early 1970's I would DROOL at the C28 pre-amp.  Father of a friend of mine knew I was an audio nut.  He asked me to help him pick out a really nice system.  Easy, all MacIntosh - A C28 plus whatever was their top of the line tuner and amp with meters.  JBL L200 speakers.  Dual 1219 turntable and some super nice Sure cartridge.  For 1974 this was a serious system.

Later that year I got a job working for AR (Acoustic Research) and I started to hear things differently.  Like most of us our listening matured as did the equipment.  By 1979 I was deep into Mark Levinson, particularly his first class-a amps. Add 40 years to that and assume I have listened to some fine systems over the years. 

Recently my friends father that bought the system in 1974 passed away.  We were at his house and couldn't resist putting on some records.  The warm blue lights of the C28 looked great.  There was a new LP12 and better cartridge.  The L200's and old MacIntosh still put on a hell of a fine performance.  

That system worked, and continues to, for forty plus years.  Lots of great listening, lots of parties.  My friend is moving the system to his summer house in Maine.

He has a super nice current audio system - but the old C28 and L200's will live on.

Love, hate or indifferent ( which is hard) from just an industrial design POV The stuff is visually stunning. And yes built like and as heavy.

When those turntables came out a few years ago with the green platters! my GOD was there nothing more beautiful!

And how can you not like big sexy blue meters!! How many of those classic Mac amps were sold because of them.  A lot!

Those glossy glass face plates.......

Just gorgeous sexy looking gear. 

Taste in sound is subjective. And yes it is the gear of choice for Doctors and Dentists, they need stuff to listen to just like the rest of us.

I have never owned but have certainly lusted over a few of their pieces.

Parasound Mono-block's ( or a Denafrips whatever) won't get you laid..... 

We must think Hilde the OP to have put this video here to awake our attention...

He knows very well that the focus on the gear is the main FIRST necessity when we create our own system but it is also our first limitation when we begin...This limitations or characteristic of our gear choice will be compensate by the acoustic correct tuning for them anyway...

Acoustic is the thing that matter more than any gear choice because any relatively good choice of gear will do...

But the ultimate S.Q. will come from acoustic treatment and control not from the gear...

People dont understand that really, it is normal, they NEVER did a room by tuning it to assist the gear by themselves, then they never contemplate the complete transformation of the gear... COMPLETE transformation...Going from a nude room to a room made synergetically to serve the specific gear for our specific ears... At the end the objective result is also a completely subjective one... It is NOT a contradiction it is a PROCESS....