Mcintosh 200 with rotel amp rmb 1095??? good or ba

does some one know if this is a good idea i want more power or do i just think so--i have b&w(703 front)(htm7 center)looking for rear speakers possibly(b&w ds6 s3)or b&w dm303) will it change the sound of my McIntosh in a bad way or a good (the amp that is) way or keep the sound the same cant afford Mcintosh amp or i would just do the mcintosh. manfred77 thank's
manfred77

Showing 1 response by ekobesky

Do you mean the McIntosh C200 from the mid-2000s? If so, it was on the warm side of neutral but generally uncolored so it should be relatively transparent. That's what a good preamp should be.

But I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve here. How did you end up with a $7000+ stereo preamp and a $1,000 5-channel amp? It doesn't make any sense in terms of balance, especially considering that your speakers are also at the bottom of the B&W range.

The McIntosh should have good resale value. If you want to build a home theater system that also does 2-channel stereo very well -- without the complication of bypassing the HT receiver or pre -- you'd be better off in terms of balance to:

(1) Sell the C200

(2) Take the proceeds and and invest in the RMB1095 amp you like along with any good Rotel pre/processor. Late model 5.1 used ones sell for as little as $300 on Audiogon.

(3) Sell your front two B&W channels and invest in something a little higher up the range or use them instead for rear channels.

At the end of the day, you'll probably have money left over and you'll have a nice, relatively simple and balanced system for music and movies -- especially since Rotel and B&W get along quite well.