McCormack DNA-1 vs. Adcom GFA-5802

Relative noob here. I'm looking for a new (used) 2-channel amp to power my new Polk LSi9 bookshelf speakers. I've pretty much decided that I want to get the McCormack DNA-1. I've considered the Parasound Halo 23, as well as the Adcom GFA-5802, but it sounds like the McCormack DNA-1 is the better amp, according to a number of folks (unfortunately, I'm unable to personally listen to any of them).

My question is this: if the McCormack is the better amp, why is it priced around the same place as the Adcom and the Parasound in the current used market? I realize that the Adcom has a bit more power, and Parasound has made some great amps, but people seem pretty unanimous in preferring the DNA-1 for sound quality. What gives? Am I missing something? Is the used market just not as rational as I thought it would be, or has the superiority of the DNA-1 to the Adcom GFA-5802, and the Parasound Halo 23, been overstated? Is it just a matter of taste? Preference for the DNA-1 seemed to transcend mere fanboy-ism.

Thanks for any input.
bthogan

Showing 1 response by djohnson54

The McCormack may be an older amp but I doubt the one you buy on the used market will be 20 years old. In any case they are still completely supported by the designer, Steve McCormack at SMC Audio, so no fear there. The used market is fickle in the sense that you can ASK any price you want to. Unless you subscribe to Audiogon's bluebook, you don't know what they actually SELL for. I would be surprised if the average selling price were the same for the Adcom and Parasound amps but who knows (my subscription to the bluebook just expired).

The McCormack is a great amp with a well-deserved reputation. I own a DNA-0.5 (that I bought used) and it has served me well with absolutely no problems for years. But I know that, if I do have problems or just want to upgrade the amp, Steve will be there to fix me right up.