McCormack 225 preamp match

I currently have a modded Marantz 7t (work done by Vintage Amplifier Restoration) and it sounds purty good. Not the deepest soundstage but nice tonally... though a bit washed out at the upper end. Would a McCormack preamp give me a completely different presentation? I am wanting to see what else is out there. Not limiting myself to just McCormack products of course. I listen to noisy rock for the most part.

Is this an active preamp?

I currently run a completely overhauled Thorens TD-124 with a Benz Micro Glider (high output) and an SME Series 2 Improved that was rewired with Cardas cabling. I like it a lot though wonder if a modern phono preamp will just get me more accurate and less musical.

My CD player is a Lexicon RT-20 and sounds great though. Again not sure if something different will work wonders on this.
benmcosker
Very happy with the McCormack 225 thus far, will likely do some of the upgrades this year on that amp, as I love to tweak my rig, ha. Will likely get the LD-2 preamplifier with the phono module...
"Would a McCormack preamp give me a completely different presentation?"

The answer to your question is yes, I am sure it would be very different. Probably better in some respects (definition, transparency, bass depth and control, etc.) but you would have to try them to see if they are a match for your system and taste. Don't worry about matching brands - just find a combo that suits your needs and taste.

All of the McCormack preamps are active designs except for the earlier "Line Drive" series of passive preamps. Several of them (ALD-1, TLC-1, Micro Line Drive) include passive outputs but have fully active sections as well.

Happy Holidays!

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio
I meant to say also that it would be wise to stay with the same manufacturer specifically because of the synergy factor.
In my "limited" experience with components, (compared to most here), I can say without a doubt that my EAR 834P/w volume is an excellent synergistic match to the DNA 225. Of course you're interested in a full function pre, which mine is not.