MBL 9011 v/s Boulder 2050 monos

Hi,
Would like a shootout between the two monster amps. I would like to choose between the two based on my preferences:
1)Extreme neutrality
2)Ultimate transparency
3)Superb sound staging.
Would encourage folks to describe in as objective terms as possible (Lows, mids highs etc)
Enjoy.
-Sthekepat
Ag insider logo xs@2xsthekepat

Showing 2 responses by osgorth

Given the preferences you list, Sthekepat, you sound like a prime candidate for MBL speakers. Given that you already have the preamp, I would take a good listen to the 111 or 116 speakers coupled with the 9007 amps. They together would clock in at a lower price than the 9011s alone, and I'm absolutely certain it would give you the improvements you ask for. :)

Now, if you have a large room (35-40m2 or larger) you really want the 101 speakers, but they are a bit expensive, and also want the larger amps like 9008 or 9011.

To my ears, 9008 and 9011 sound a bit bass-heavy when played on other speakers than the 101, which is what they were designed for. So if you want to couple these to other speakers I strongly recommend an in-home demo.
That'll be fun I'm sure, the shootout between those beasts! :)

I'm just thinking that in the setup you have, I would look at the speakers first for an improvement. I have heard the Ushers several times and I'm not that impressed with them. Given your room size, I strongly recommend an audition of the mbl 111 or 116 speakers before you do anything else.

In any case I'd love to hear your views after the shootout! Both are fantastic amps.