Mating Quad 2905's with crossover and subs?

I love the 2905's, but I can't take their dynamic or bass limitations. Has anyone got any experience with crossing the quads say with a pair of REL's and a crossover (a Bryston Xover is what I'm thinking)? If so, what were your impressions, and at what frequency did you Xover to the subs?
I'm thinking I could get the dynamics out of the quads, if I were to pass the lows to the subs, and let the subs handle the bottom.
Any thoughts, remarks, impressions, or advice would be greatly appreciated :-) !
louisl

Showing 2 responses by tarjin22

I'm in the same boat as you, owning 2905's and loving their clarity, delicacy, speed and timbrel purity - yet missing the visceral physical impact put out by dynamic speakers during orchestral and operatic peaks. Like you, I'm considering a sub, knowing that believable integration with Quads may be impossible.

The REL Gibraltor series is a candidate, as their published specs look great in terms of speed. Problem is, they are designed to let the main speakers run full-range, while integration apparently is achieved only through tweaking the sub's volume and low-pass level. The connection is via Speak-on units.

This arrangement seems to me a big trade-off: one the one hand, by omitting a Xover, the sub's presence in the system will not degrade the signal received by the Quads; on the other, because there is no Xover to attenuate the high-pass signal to the Quads, their panels will not be relieved of any mid-to-low bass duties that, in theory, might be restricting their overall dynamics.

However, I'm not convinced such "relief" will allow the Quad panels to play louder, because what restricts their ability to do so is simply the limitation of their membranes' excursions before smacking into the stators - the source of distortion, arcing, and shutdown. Which, by the way, I've not witnessed.

There are two expensive solutions to our dilemma: (1) set up a separate listening room with big Rockport, TAD, Evolution or Magico speakers for rock and opera, or (2) add another set of Quads to move more air, thus fulfilling their namesake's suggestion. OK, back to reality:

Larry Greenhill reviewed a JL Audio Fathom f212, mating it to Quad ESl 989's through a Bryston 10B SUB Xover, using a complex setup to calibrate the sub:

http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/jl_audio_fathom_f212_powered_subwoofer/index.html

Keep us posted on your experiments.
Sunnyboy -

Your REL G1 is very encouraging news. I will soon be auditioning a couple of box speakers as possible replacements for my 2905's, but will also ask for a G1/2905 setup for comparison.

My dealer warns me about the impossibility of finding Quad magic in box speakers under astro sums of money, so I'm inclined to keep 'em.

Still, I do wish the Quads were more, ah, visually inspiring...