Mark Levinson No.512 CD Player---Opinions

Wow!! I just listened to the new Mark Levinson 512 CD player against the usual known suspects of Eoteric, EMM, dCS, and alike and I am convinced that Mark Levinson is back. I was able to spend ample time with the local dealer in Southern California in comparing the unit and we both agreed it was sensational. FYI, it is $15k but it is well worth it. Complete tonal balance and dynamic as anything I have heard for the price. I would be eager to hear others' opinion about this player.
pkancel

Showing 4 responses by pkancel

The stylish black metal machine is massive and has ll of the Levinson styling aspects. I think that it sounded far superior to the 390S but as Bar81 points out, the Burmester 001 is just better in every way. $15k versus $23k for the Burmester. Also, I have owned/do own other less expensive CDP's and none of them do the music any justice. I am glad that my pocket can afford my ear otherwise I would be miserbale with my hearing versus buying comparison.
Economy is bad but music is soooo good. I just spent 3.5 hours listening to the No.512 and I cut a check for it! When it will arrive, I don't know but that is an AMAZING piece of machinery. I can't wait to get it. I already have the Burmester unit and so this is going to be a part of a secondary system in SF.
I have this player running through a pair of Mark LEvinson No.53's. A lot of the reviews listed above are spot on and I am absolutely in love with this CDP. Conversely, and for a bit more money ($8k) I do prefer the other setup I have which is the Burmester 001 in its latest form running through the Burmester 911's. I have not been able to find anything to de-throne the Burmester setup but I keep trying. I believe the No.512 to be the best out there at the $15k price point. I have also recently A/B'ed this with the Meridian 808.2 and can see why there is so much credit being given to that player but it is simply not quite for me.
Whew! I am back from my weeks of straight work!
The No.512 was played through Salon 2's as well as Focal Scala Utopia III's. Both sounded great but I assume that it was a combination of the No.53's and the No.512 that made the system sing. I was aware of the failures and I was assured that that ML would stand behind theor products. I am not new to this hobby and I will tell anyone that I would rather buy from a $4 Billion dollar company like Harman that some of the small outfits as i have been repeatedly disappointed by the small guys. Dont get me wrong, I want the underdog to win but I keep being left high and dryby these guys.
UPDATE: I am buying the No.512 tomorrow and I will report as to my findings against my Burmester player.