Mark Levinson No.380s vs Pass Labs X-2.5?

Has anyone out there owned or heard both these preamps?
If so, how do they compare to one another, and which is overall superior, and in what ways?
Thanks.
audio_girl

Showing 1 response by drt

I have owned both the ML380S and the Pass Labs X-1 at the same time. The X-1, more expensive version with external power supply, is a little better sonically than the X-2.5. So it is not exactly what you are asking. But they are pretty close. In stock form, the X-1 has much more detail, clarity and spaciousness with tighter more powerful bass than the ML380S. The ML380S is more laid back, and is very smooth, with huge sound stage, but slightly rolled off in the highs. However, the ML380S has much more refined functions, particularly the volume control and remote control. In comparison, the X-1 (which has similar functions and controls as the X-2.5)is rather awkward, needing to return to the main memu to change functions. The volume control has lager steps and therefore is harder to fine just the right volume level. Some have complained of a tendency to jump steps.

I finally sold my X-1 and kept my ML380S even though sonically I thought the X-1 sounded better. However, I like the refined functions of the ML380S so much that I have had my ML380S modified by Component Plus, and the ML380S has been transformed. Now it sounds significantly better than the X-1. I don't know if a modified X-1 or X-2.5 would still sound better than a modified ML380S.