Mark Levinson 333.5 vs Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks

We are pushing Thiel 3.6 speakers with our dual-monaural Mark Levinson 333.5 amp. we are considering a switch to the Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks. Does anyone have actual experience with both the 333.5 (or 333) and the XPR-1's?

If not with the Levinson amp, then any experience vs. the XPR-1's with another higher end amp?

We have 2-30 watt receptacles ready for the job in hand. Also have 20 amp receptacles. Both services are on dedicated circuits.
levchappy

Showing 2 responses by french_fries

I am ALSO one of those lunkheads who think Mark Levinson gear sounds really good. Plus the poster states he had his amp updated (a 333.5 is already an updated product to begin with). I don't know what an Emotive product can or can't do, but ML can make music. So does Pass Labs Rowland Boulder Krell (yes, Krell) Halcro VTL Audio Research etc. But ML has been AND REMAINS in this class of components. These companies like to show you what their gear looks like when you remove the top cover and for good reason. Compare that with a Marantz receiver from the 70's (a decent product, no question) but you CAN SEE as well as HEAR the difference in build quality and superior parts.
And if this stuff is a bit too expensive there are many companies that make components that sound pretty darn close to the major leaguers, but they have thinner cases, less power reserves, less expensive circuit boards, etc. Just don't pair 2nd tier stuff with a very sensitive (as in detailed) speaker- unless you plan to upgrade later on when you have more money saved up.
If you want a better ML amp get a newer ML amp. I can highly recommend a pair of 33H monoblocks- an amazing amplifier if you can get someone to sell you a pair. that's just one suggestion.
Dear Audiolabyrinth,
in regards to Krell equipment, i guess it was that whole Fabio craze that seemed to create a bit of superficiality and "muscle-amp" promotion that Krell did not deserve but could have avoided just the same. I owned an FPB-300 myself for quite awhile and it threw a big stage and sounded wonderful to my ears.
A Rowland dealer told me the amp sounded "like crap" but consider the snobbish attitude he had about anything he didn't carry in his shop.
I am not so sure the Evo line is so terrible as you seem to imply.
Nor for that matter is the D'Agostino gear as good as certain reviewers seem so
impressed by. I think the fancy little meter on the front tells me to look elsewhere...