marantz 6350q turntable budget cartridge?

Hi all... Is there a replacement cartridge & stylus that would be a meaningful and sensible upgrade in sound for under $75? And, must i have it professionally installed/aligned if i'm not able to do it myself?

I just scored a nice working and looking marantz 6350q turntable for $40 as replacement for my pioneer pl-530 with a "motivational" issue. It sounds nice and i think the bass is clearer/rounder/warmer but the trebble seems a bit brassy/brash/harsh compared to what i was used to despite using the same el-cheapo shure cartrige, stylus and the pioneer headshell??? I thought the cartridge & stylus basically was the main influence on the sound of a middle-of-the-line TT like this, assuming speed, wow & rumble are all in check. However, I'm no audiophile, just a record and music lover, and most of my records are $1-$5 60's/70's jazz, rock, soul, funk, country & blues ranging from pretty beat up but plays to VG/VG+ and I do clean and brush them before playing. my receiver is a 2004 Yamaha Natural Sound RX 396 if that matters.

Thanks all for any responses, advise, suggestions, etc...
terrapin70

Showing 2 responses by phasecorrect

Keep the marantz great find and superior build to starter regas etc sell yammie and look 4 older nad or rotel intergrated these will have better phono stages some sensible sound advice on carts here