Main speakers cut out when sub powered on

Hi,

I'm seeing this weird phenomenon. I have connected my Velodyne SPL 800 II sub using it's high level (speaker) inputs. The main speakers and the sub connections share the same speaker binding posts.

If I have the music already playing, and I flip the master switch on the sub, the main speakers cut out for a very brief time (less than a second) and come back on. Is this normal?

The problem wont show up if I leave the sub on "Auto On" mode where it comes to life when it senses signal on the input.

Just not sure what's causing this behavior and probably affecting the amp and/or speakers.

Thanks in advance.
livin_262002

Showing 3 responses by livin_262002

Hi Almarg,

Sorry I misread the first sentence in your post. I'm using an integrated amplifier, it doesn't have balanced outputs and is not bridged.

Best Regards
Hi Zd

I have the main speaker cables and the sub cables sharing the same binding posts on the integrated i.e. connected in parallel.
Hi Almarg,

Thanks for a detailed explanation. Although I doubt it's the AC line voltage drop because, when I have the sub disconnected from the amp, powering on the sub has no affect on the main speakers/amp, it's only when the sub is connected to the amp the main speakers cut out. The amp is not going into protection mode but the sound cuts out for a brief moment. Any other ideas?

Best Regards