MAC Autoformers?

Someone is selling a MAC MA6500 Integrated claiming its superiority over the Ma6600 due to the fact that "it does not have the degrading autoformer design found in the MA6600". That is the first time I've heard a claim that the autoformer was a hindrance to better performance; I thought quite the opposite. What do you MAC Maves think?
pubul57
I think the 6300 is a sleeper......It does use THERMAL TRAK
which keeps it running cool all day.....it does not have
BASS/TREBLE controls but the pre-amp section is great.

It uses LED's instead of bulbs.......I thought the 6500
was quote unquote "louder" but the 6300 sounded better to me.

I like balanced inputs my self which the 6300 has.
With MAC people do not talk enough how important your source (cd player, dvd player, server etc.) is relative to your sound. Do not get me wrong, I know it is on all equipment, but you can REALLY hear the differences
on MAC stuff. Only as good as what you plug into it.

All three are good pieces of equipment. Never understood why the 6600 has such a bad rap.
That is funny about the guy who always bashes Mcintosh and has it himself. I know someone similar. According to my friend, McIntosh cannot do anything right except in his own listening room. Go figure.
Hi all, After reading this discussion I just thought I'd mention that I've noticed on the used market McIntosh amps that have autoformers seem to go for more money than the ones without. I've seen some Mac amps from the 70's go for more money that ones with out autoformer that were made in the 80's and 90's. Also I have a Mac MC2105 and I think it sounds much better than the Adcom or the Belles amps that I had prior to it. And go figure, the Mac is close to 40 years old and still works like a charm.

My System:

McIntosh MC2105 Amp
McIntosh C504 Preamp
Sansui TU666 Tuner
California Audio Labs Alfa DAC
California Audio Labs Delta Transport
Micro Seiki DDX 1000 Turntable w/ Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm/Linn Asak MC cart.
Musical Fidelity X-LPS phono preamplifier
Vandersteen 2CE Speakers
Loving my MA 6600 with the AF's. My understanding autoformers give you full power at any impedance. That's a bad thing...I don't think so. And after some many decades I think MAC could employ there use without degradation. That other makers don't use them, cost and the thinking it is not necessary for their designs. But McIntosh has always tended to go the extra mile, and have the philosophy of "bonus built" components.

As for some of the differences in their integrated amp line up. Along with the very musical presentation some nice features, such as electronic tone controls and level matching. Secondary output to drive another amp. Led lighting among others makes for a very nice package in the MA 6600.
Had the 2105 and the 7270,havent heard Mac amps without them so cant compare.I can say both came close to Ayre,CJ,Counterpoint and a couple others.This would be with Merlins,YMMV,cheers,Bob