Luxman turntables -Pecking Order?

There doesn't seem to be too much info out there on Luxman tables, but I do know that the PD 555 was apparently their flagship table.
But after that???
I own a PD350 and I doubt whether I will ever part with it, (and from the couple of pricing guides I have found on the net regarding Lux tables)it seems to have been the second most expensive table behind the 555. Of course price is not an indicator of an items worth, can anyone enlighten me as to the merits of this model versus other Luxman models such as the 444?
Chris
128x128soundfan

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

I use both a PD444 and a PD441. The 555 is belt-driven on the same plinth/arm-mount/feet engineering as the direct-drive 4XX tables. The pecking order depends on how much you revere belt drive and vacuum. The 444/441 are certainly the best sounding direct drive turntables I've heard, and when set up properly, they better a wide array of the audiophile-approved belt drive turntables, including most of what comes from that friendly aircraft carrier sized country in the northeast Atlantic. The 444 sounds more energetic with music having more drive than the 555. The 555 has a softer, relaxed sound, with less transient impact. Speed stability on both is excellent.

The PD3XX turntables came a little later, and combined Luxman luxury, machining and cosmetics to then-prevailing audiophile notions of credibility in turntable design. To me, they are very fine and certainly worth an owner keeping. In cases where a suspension is advisable, they are musical and setup is repeatable and stable. Others may disagree and put the 555 on top, but I'd put the Luxman pecking order as: PD444 > PD555 > PD441 > PD350 > PD300 > PD121 (especially the late samples). The 264, 282, 272 were behind them but still quite nice. Luxman integrated turntables from 1976 - ~1982 had effective, well-made tonearms, too. The post-Alpine acquisition turntables, ala the PX series, are not nearly as serious for music fidelity.

The vacuum tables sound quite different with vacuum on or off. Also, Luxman non-vacuum turntables can be tuned via mats. However, on the 444/441, with their magnetic assistance on bearing load, must be used with alternate mats of similar weight. I use a Music Mat (mid-80s) on the 441 and the stock Luxman mat on the 444.

One last thing, the 555/444/441 all use the same channel & cam interchangeable arm boards. It's very effective and makes overhang settings repeatable. The actual arm plate that bolts onto the base cam/clamp assembly is an interesting candidate for some alternate materials experimentation.

Phil