Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny

Showing 6 responses by paulyh

Renjy651, I also want to buy a luxman from japan, but not the 505u but the new 507u. You say you also bought it directly from japan. Can you give me advice on where to buy it? Where did you buy it?
I have bought a 507u directly from japan, along with a step down transformer from kashimura. I have not received them yet, because I was not at home when the delivery man came yesterday and today. Unfortunately I can not get them sooner then monday the 28th, because of the christmas days.

But when I have them I will certainly let you know how this amplifier in combination with the transformer sounds. I can compare this sound to my previous accuphase e408 and a l505u that I had for 2 months.

I will tell you my experiences in a few weeks. And as for the 509u..........i have not heard this one, but from reviews I completely agree with renjy651
Hi Nolitan. I agree with Jimthewebguy. I have owned the accuphases (e405, e408) the luxmans (L525(model 1987), L505u, L507u). I now have the L507u. I have this one for about 2 weeks, and I stil let it burn in for a while.

The difference between the luxmans and the accuphases is, like jimthewebguy said, the accuphases give a beautiful detailed 3-dimensional sound, but it is a bit cold to my ears. I found the coldness very fatiguing. It can sound a bit harsh and therefore not relaxed to listen to.

The luxmans give a full, rich and musical sound. They always have power to spare and this sounds very relaxed. Even the L505u with 100 W/ch had much more control over the speakers then the accuphase e408 with 180w/ch.

I have listen to these amplifiers with bns soundcolumn III and mission 753 freedom speakers. Both are very neutral sounding speakers
Hi Nolitan,

I have both had the 505u and the 507u, and they sounded very similar to me. I did not have them at the same time, there was a month between the two, but they both struck me with the warm, detailed powerful musical sound. In the time between I had listened to a accuphase e408, but that was a big dissapointment in comparison to the 505u. The accuphase seemed to lack the power to really control the speakers, especially in the bass. Strange, because the e408 has 180wpc and the luxman 100?.....but luxman always understates the rated watts. I sounded more like 300 watts. Then I decided to buy the 507u directly from japan.........and I still love it.

To be short. If you really want a full bodied, musical sound with a deep and super controlled bass, buy one of these luxmans. The only big difference between the 505u and the 507u is that the build quality of the 507u is higher. More like the accuphase e408 build quality.....
Hi Jbsl43, I did not really mean that the sound of the 507u and the 505u are exactly the same, but they really sound a like. Unfortunately I have not had the 505u and the 507 at the same time. Their was a month in between with an accuphase e408. And I only had the 505u for 2 weeks. So I was not really able to tell the big differences.

The only thing I directly noticed was that that same warm satisfying feeling came over me when I plugged in the 507u after the e408. The same deep bass, the ease and tranquility in the sound I heard with the 505u.
Hi Nolitan, as I said before, I have not been able to compare the 505u and the 507u at the same time. The 505u also was not given enough time to "mature" its sound. That is why I can not really say that the 507u is much better then the 505u. Bottom line is that the 505u really amazed me, as in the same way the 507u does. If I were you I would certainly start to listen to the 505u. Maybe I will do a test with a 505u and 507u at the same time.....that will answer lots of questions.
When are you planning to buy a new amp?