Luxman D-10X Follow up

Over a year ago I sought advice here about CD players.  I ordered a Luxman D-10X as a result of the conversations.  It took a year to arrive.  Chips.  Slow ocean transport.  The world today.  Anyway, as promised I am reporting back.  It required a long break in.  At first it sounded a bit sharpish I think is the best way to put it.  200-300 hours later it has a very pleasant sound on all formats.  No surprise on SACD, DSD, and MQA, but the real bonus is that it really works quite well with PCM too.  That is a real plus for me because I listen mostly to jazz and a lot of the things I want are not available on vinyl, or the vinyl is old, out of print, in lousy condition, or absurdly expensive.  I am not inclined to pay several hundred dollars for an old mono Blue Note, sight unseen, coming from Japan, when the same recording can be had on a CD for just a few dollars.  With this D-10X the sound is acceptable.  So, I am happy.  It was worth the wait.  Thanks for all who offered advice.

billstevenson

I guess you live in a country where streaming isn’t available. I’m sorry to hear that. This is a fine CD player indeed. 

Billstivenson, great info. I also have luxman d-10x after having esoteric k-01x, accuphase dp-750 and some others. I decided not to run any brake in cds and just brake this player by playing music when I listen to it only. So for now it has about 100 hours on it. What I noticed with my unit that during first 50 hours the sound was inconsistent: one day analytical ,than after couple days musical and organic, than all of a sudden having too much bass or having lesser soundstage. Now at around 100 hours the soundstage and imaging are 3D and with proper hight and depth, bass firmed up, the whole presentation is dynamic and musical without any fatigue with great amount of details. Great player especially for jazz and classical. In my system it sounds as refined as accuphase dp-750 but more open and dynamic.
Did you noticed any shifts in sound during braking?

denon,

During the first 2-3 weeks I just let the D-10X play on repeat without listening to it critically at all so I can't really help you.  All I can say is that when I first turned it on it sounded just a bit on edge.  After 2 or 3 weeks of constant play it sounded much more pleasant. 

Mayoradamwest,

I live in Florida USA.  I am quite sure that we have streaming here.  I am just not interested in streaming. 

Bill

rpeluso

Good to see you here and enjoying the D-10x. Check your email and reply.

Thank You.

Happy Listening!