looking for a more efficient speaker.....

some thing with a higher then my current rated 86 alon IV.  something more easier to drive.  i love the way the sound but i have to drive them at 1-2 oclock to get the best sound and then you start to hear the strain.   let me know, i dont have big pockets so keep that in mind, plus i like floor standing types.

kennesawjet

@jew16384 

What are you talking about? A light weight vehicle with a big horsepower motor will blow the doors off a heavy vehicle with the same motor.

I have Emerald Physics 3.4s Open Baffle @ ~ 99dB. No flea amp here. My amp is a LSA Voyager 350 GaN amp (500w+ at 4ohms): they are very happy together!

soix  also i talked with dr lee at acoustic zenn, ask if there could be a problem with the wow II's since i got rid of the tara labs for the same reason.  he told me not to tighten the interconnects to tight this will alter the headroom and clarity and he was right, just fyi.......

That’s very interesting, especially as I too have AZ interconnects/cables and probably over-tightening myself.  Is this a recent issue or has it been present the whole time you’ve had this setup?  Only other thought I have is swapping tubes in your preamp.  Best of luck, and please keep us posted. 

sbank if you no longer use alon what do you have now....

curiosjim    rather low, i have enough equipment

ozzy, i talked to jeff at cj and steve at mccormack, said not yet

lanx dont like 2way speakers....

soix  glad i could help you....

@jew16384 

The generality of stuff sounding better at or above 90db is certainly not true now. It might have been back in the 70’s with the relatively inexpensive equipment we were able to afford then. Certainly not true now as a generality.

speaker have compliance and the compliance in nonlinear there is resistance to motion is the surround and at low levels it restricts the cone.  A issue with older horn spreader that I know  has changed to these efficient speaker now is the quality of the crossovers.  Heck JBL Olympus speaker would blow the horn driver if you dropped the needle.  I don’t disk like horn and high efficiency speakers there are great threaders, concerts halls. Having said that I admit have not listened to modern designed ones. Just because I have own my share of them does mean you shouldn’t own them. Remember the older one crossover suck, Nelson Pass has a new crossover for his JBL