Looking for a $500 or so phono preamp -- BC23 ?

Hi, how would a used Blue Circle BC23 stack up against some of the newer phono preamps Graham Slee, Edwards Audio or Project (Tube Box II?).
What would you buy on that budget ? Any suggestions ? I'm all EARs (yes, lousy pun intended).
Thanks in advance.
128x128kennyman

Showing 5 responses by actusreus

Kennyman,

I have the Camelot Technologies Lancelot phono preamp that retails for $1,200 or more these days I believe. It's a battery operated, dual mono, passive RIAA, and accommodates both MM and MC cartridges. Fremer loved it when he reviewed it a few years back. I think it's a fantastic value for the money. It killed the Phonomena II in my system when I was auditioning for a new preamp. I just got a new phono preamp and would let you have the Lancelot for more or less what you're looking to spend, if you're interested. Mel Shilling custom configured it for me. Mel is a great guy and stands behind his product.
Kennyman,
The BC23 is no longer in production, so it appears you can only get it used. Was that your plan? I don't have any experience with this unit, but I know a super friendly Blue Circle Audio dealer in LA who, I'm sure, would be more than happy to give you feedback. Let me know if you'd like his info.

Also, if you're interested in the Lancelot, I'd be happy to send you a few links with information and reviews.
And what happens when something breaks? Are you going to send it back to China?
Redglobe,
I'm not going to claim categorically that "local technicians" cannot repair equipment, but I personally neither know "local technicians," nor would trust anyone with equipment that is not your typical run-of-the-mill piece of electronics. I understand your point about high value vs. cost, but I'd personally feel too uncomfortable buying directly from another continent without local support. It's the pragmatic pessimist in me...
Kennyman,
Just so you know, Jim Pendleton at Osage Audio has a brand new Phonomena II for $500. I just got an email from Osage. And he's an awesome guy to deal with. I thought I'd let you know if you're still deciding.