Linn Sondek LP-12 tonearm recommendations?

I just bought a Linn Sondek Lp-12, it had a Rega RB 300 tonearm, I would like to know from other LP-12 owners, what you have used or currently use on your table, that sound superb to your ears, or would I be better off sending this arm in for a cardas rewire?
FYI- I would like to stay in the 2-3K range

128x128rbtstock

Showing 2 responses by cd318

Ah, the dreaded LP12 bottomless money pit strikes again!

An awful lot depends upon the spec of your LP12, but the Ekos or Naim Aro have long been the recommended suggestions, but they are quite different in presentation. 

I have heard both and to me the Ekos was an Ittok on steroids whilst the Aro was something far more analogue sounding.

The current versions of these arms might be outside your budget.

There are also options from the likes of the well respected Origin Live and Funk Firm etc.

I just don't think the Ittok is big enough a deal but first you must decide just what is it that you want that your RB300 can't deliver.

However, on the other hand, if you can pick up a cheap Ittok with its bearings and headshell still intact, then you could stop there and use the rest of your money towards a Technics S1200G and you'll have 2 world class decks, albeit quite different.

Both of them, good investments too - and no more money thrown into that bottomless pit.
@mwh777 ,

"The Ittok is known for having a "lively or energetic" upper mid rrange"

I totally agree. On some albums that might be a good thing but then again on others, maybe not so much.

It’s not a big issue and might not even be apparent for a good period of time, but it was there on my Ittok LVII.

As is usual some care with cartridge matching is advisable.

More on the Ittok by David Price here:

"Originally manufactured for Linn by the Denon Parts Company of Japan (no relation to the electronics brand), it was designed by a certain Mr Ito to Linn’s specification back in the late seventies. The Tik-Tok (as fans called it) evolved over the years with various detail changes (such as a new counterweight), until it reached its LVIII incarnation in 1989."
http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendReviews?row=60