Linn Sondek Hype

So, it seems after reading a few threads there is something of a prejudice against the sondek. Well after now owning one I am not sure that it is warranted, to say it simply, I am in love. I mean wow, just plain old floored. Of course I also have Mcintosh equipment, so I am used to reading how horrible my stuff is. I am just wondering if the little table from Ikea is really a viable table for the Linn. I got a great deal on the Linn, but I am now broke, so cheap suggestions only.
gsxr750ccs

Showing 3 responses by gsxr750ccs

Thanks for the suggestions, I should have said a little more. The one I bought came with the sound organisation wall mount, so I am covered there, but my listening room is in the basement, and I do not think I can install it because there are no studs. Because it is a basement I don't have footfall issues, thank goodness for concrete ;). I am not sure as to the durability of this one, as I don't know the age, but it came with the lingo power supply, and ekos arm, with a shure v15 mxr. If wall mounting is still the best option, I think I mount a couple of 2x4's across where the studs in the wall already are, then mount the table to that. The studs in the basement are spaced at the width of the drywall sense it is a faux wall. Which leads me to another concern, reading the paperwork it says it must be mounted onto a load bearing wall, which the faux wall is not, it is simply a way to hold the drywall over the concrete basement wall.
The issue I am having is with the rack, it is a circuit city stand purchased purely on looks. It has gotten looser, which I am assuming is due to my constant fiddling with components, and blasting the hell out of it. So now if I go to change the volume on the old c28, it causes skipping. This is the reason I decided a separate stand would be in order. Since I have the wall stand, I think maybe I should mount it on that right now, although it will ungainly to look at with the 2x4's crossing the wall, and wait till I can afford a decent floor stand. I just do not know what a decent floor stand is, and what qualifies for light and rigid by Linn standards, seems an old metal shop bench would be perfect. I have one that weighs no more than 15 pounds, and is nearly impossible to bend.
The one thing I notice about the Linn, is that it has specific music that it just absolutely shines, others, it kinda dumps out. I really like Don Mclean, but have never heard him sound as terrible as it does on the Linn. It gets frustrating to me as I am not sure what is acting poorly, Ie: the record, the player, the preamp, ect.... Starting into this stuff is so intimidating.