Lewinskih01.. used pc under 500.00

You might remember a thread I wrote a few weeks ago

Quicksilver 90 watt silver monos
Quicksilver LS preamp
Fritz speakers prototype... 2 way monitor with ScanSpeak 5" Illuminator mid/bass & ScanSpeak 9700 tweeter 13H x 71/2W x 12D... Skylan stands in 12x15 room
Kimber KCAG, interconnect
WyWires Blue speaker cable
Musical Fidelity M1 A dac
Theta Pearl transport
50's, 60's be-bop jazz, old rock and blues, movie scores
70 years old... not very computer music savvy.

(For music only,) I have a Asus 16" laptop for everyday use... Duo P8700, 320GB, 4GB, WIN7 Premium. Do you think this will work fine for ripping, downloading, streaming radio. will buy used laptop for everyday use
zoot45

Showing 2 responses by stereo5

I use an Asus 14 inch laptop as my music server. I use a 2 tb external USB3 hard drive for my music storage. This way the operating system is on one drive and music is on the other. My laptop uses the Intel i3 processor with 4gb of ram and a 320gb internal hard drive.

I run J Rivers Media Player and I have no problems with the set up. It is very quick accessing over 10,000 songs on the USB drive. You can shut off a lot of the Windows services which is what I did. It sounds wonderful through my Wyred4Sound Dac and the Musical Fidelity v link 192 usb/spdif converter. Actually, it sounds better than my 8,500.00 Esoteric SACD player.
My Asus laptop has a dedicated usb3 port and 2 usb2 ports. Never a problem and absolutely no skipping. I also have a back up of all my music on another hard drive (just in case).